immigration visa lawyer
    Law Office of Bartlett & Associates, PLLC

 Why Choose Us?

  • Experienced immigration attorneys prepare and file your case
  • Avoid costly mistakes and subsequent delays with the USCIS
  • Access to legal advice from the comfort of your home or office
  • Send unlimited case questions to your  attorney and receive timely responses online
  • Low, flat fee - No hidden costs

J-1 Visa:
Students and exchange visitors: exchange visitors

The J-1 visa is for those who intend to participate in an approved program for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, studying, observing, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical education or training.

J-1 visa holders are sponsored by public and private entities acting as exchange sponsors. These exchange programs, designated by the U.S. Department of State, are designed to promote the interchange or persons, knowledge, and skills, in the fields of education, arts, and science. Some exchange visitors include, but are not limited to: professors or scholars, research assistants, students, trainees, teachers, specialists, nannies/au pairs, and camp counselors. Some J-1 visa holders enter the United States specifically to work, while others do not. Employment authorization is only allowed under the terms of the exchange program.

Any spouse and/or children under the age of 21 wanting to join the J-1 visa holder may be eligible regardless of nationality, with a J-2 visa. Even though, your spouse and children are entitled to work authorization their incomes may not be used to support the J-1 visa holder.