immigration visa lawyer
    Law Office of Bartlett & Associates, PLLC

 Why Choose Us?

  • Experienced immigration attorneys prepare and file your case
  • Avoid costly mistakes and subsequent delays with the USCIS
  • Access to legal advice from the comfort of your home or office
  • Send unlimited case questions to your  attorney and receive timely responses online
  • Low, flat fee - No hidden costs

NAFTA Professionals (Mexico)

The TN visa created by the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) permits qualified Canadian and Mexican citizens to seek temporary entry into the United States to engage in business activities at a professional level.

The professionals who are eligible to seek admission with a TN visa are accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers. You may be eligible for TN nonimmigrant status, if 1) you are a citizen of Mexico, 2) your profession qualifies, 3) the position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional, 4) you have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer, and 5) you have the qualifications of the profession.

As a Mexican citizen you are not required to file a petition with USCIS, but still must obtain a visa to enter the United States as a TN nonimmigrant. You apply for a TN visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Mexico.

Once approved you may apply for admission at a United States port-of-entry. If you are eligible following inspection by a CBP Officer, then you will be admitted as a TN nonimmigrant and receive an I-94, as evidence of your admission. The period of stay is for 3 years, after which you must obtain an extension. Extensions are for 3 years and there is no limit to the number of extensions a TN holder may receive. You may apply at a port of entry using the same application and documentation procedures required at the time of your initial entry.

Any spouse and/or children under the age of 21 wanting to join the TN visa holder may be eligible. They must demonstrate a bona fide spousal or parent-child relationship. Dependents do not have to be citizens of Mexico, but they must contact the American embassy or consulate that serves their area. Spouses and children cannot work, but are permitted to study.